Flapjack is classic British snack.
Not to be confused with the American flapjack which is a pancake.
British flapjack is actually an oat bar!
You can add your favourite fruits or nuts to this recipe and give it an interesting flavour.
Similar to a granola bar, oat bars can be eaten if you need an instant pick-me-up.
Basically it is healthy food on the go!
- ½ cup butter (1 stick) cubed
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 5 tablespoons golden syrup or dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⅓ cups quick-cooking oats
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, syrup, vanilla and cook until the sugar is dissolved and fluid. Remove from heat and whisk until there is no visible butter and the mixture resembles melted caramel.
- Add the oats and mix until well coated.
- Spread evenly into the prepared pan and bake 15-20 minutes or until golden.