Singgang in the Malay community of Malaysia is known to be a good food for new mommy after delivery.
Especially in the East Coast.
Fishes are believed to have health benefits that can help woman in confinement to heal better.
Singgang can also be made using meat or fish but here is the recipe made with fish.
It is quick, easy to make and healthy.
- 3 cuts of mackerel
- 2 inch galanggal, cut and pressed
- 3 red onion, sliced thin
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 1-2 slices of tamarind slice
- 5-6 of birdseye chili
- 4 okras
- salt and sugar to taste
- Clean and toss the fish.
- Boil 3 cups of water, galanggal, onion, and garlic.
- When it boils, put in the fish, tamarind slices, chili, and lastly the okras.
- Let it simmer until fish is thoroughly cooked.
- Put in the salt and sugar following your taste.
- Serve with steaming hot rice.