Previously we mentioned that seaweeds are high source of iodine.
Well, prawns are a good source for it too!
Bite into this juicy prawn tempura dipped in sweet sauce.
Invigorate your tastebuds and stimulate your ASMR with the sound of crispy batter.
You can also try other ingredients and turn them into tempuras!
- 15 Prawns
- Oil for deep frying
- 50 g Plain flour
- 75 ml Ice cold water
- 1 tbsp Kewpie mayonnaise
Tentsuyu (dipping sauce)
- 1 cup of Water
- 1/2 tbsp Dashi powder (there are halal-certified ones)
- 1/4 cup Mirin (you can opt for rice vinegar but add 1/2 tsp of sugar for every tbsp of vinegar used)
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 1/4 cup grated daikon
- Prepare the prawn and set aside.
- Place the flour and add icey cold water and mayonnaise. Combine them together briefly (don’t over-mix or it will be too gooey).
- Set aside in fridge until all ingredients and oil is ready.
- Fill a deep pan or deep-fryer with vegetable oil and heat until 180c.
- Add the prawn to the batter individually to coat them and put them into the oil.
- When the prawn is cooked, if you lift them up out of cooking oil with a pair of chopsticks you can feel tiny vibration.
- When the ingredients are cooked, place them onto a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Continue to coat and fry each ingredient until all done.
- Add the mirin to a small sauce pan and boil on high heat for about 1 minute (this will allow all the alcohol to evaporate).
- Add the water, soy sauce, and dashi powder and bring to a boil.
- Place the sauce in a bowl and allow it to cool down then serve with the Tempura.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of Tentsuyu in a small bowl with about 1 tbsp of grated daikon to serve with Tempura.