Egg Drop Soup is a popular Chinese dish.
It’s simple and comforting.
Furthermore, Eggs are high in Vitamin B12 that helps in neural tube development of your baby.
- 4 cups good-quality chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, plus extra for garnish
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
- Whisk together stock (chilled or room-temperature), cornstarch, ginger and garlic powder in a medium sauce pan until smooth. Heat over high heat until the stock comes to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and egg whites in a small measuring cup or bowl. (I find the measuring cup easier for pouring.)
- Once the broth reaches a simmer, use a fork or a whisk to stir the broth in a circular motion, creating a “whirlpool.” Then slowly pour the whisked eggs into the soup as you continue stirring, in order to create long egg ribbons.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in the sesame oil, green onions until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste, also adding a dash or two of more sesame oil if needed.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional green onions.